An ongoing project to record and preserve the history of Kingstonian FC

1921-1922 SEASON

This is a (long term) temporary page in order to provide stats and reports for the 1921-1922 season. There are links to a single Surrey Comet report (as a JPG picture) for each game via the match by match stats below. Eventually it is hoped to provide a full season summary and multiple reports for each game with any other news items but this will be some way into the future.

The Mayor of Kingston raises the Kingstonian Flag on the opening of the new stand at Richmond Road.
First Team:
Match by match details (linking to reports)
Player totals- Appearances, scorers etc.
Combined excel spreadsheet- match by match and player totals.
Athenian League Table
Athenian League Results Grid- results and dates for all Athenian matches.
Brief summary of the season:
There were serious concerns that Kingstonian would not have a ground for the 1921-1922 season, but after tense negotiations they were allowed to continue the ground share arrangement with Leyland Motors. They had, however, also been offered the chance to purchase the Richmond Road ground for the sum of £5,000 from the Dysart Trust. It was a struggle to raise the downpayment of £2,500 needed by August and they only managed to achieve this with a big last minute donation from Dr. R.N. Goodman of £1,000.
Despite the difficulty raising money to buy the ground and a balance that was due two years later, the club went ahead with building a new main stand comprising 1,500 seats at a total cost of £1,100. This was swiftly completed and opened for the game against Metrogas in late January 1922.

After losing two players to professional Football League clubs at the end of the previous season, league form was again poor. Kingstonian finished bottom of the league but were helped in re-election by Metrogas, who had finished 2nd, resigning from the league. Chelmsford were the other team to leave the league after being voted out despite finishing ahead of Kingstonian. Cup form was a little better than league form, but they were dealt a blow by being thrown out of the Amateur Cup for fielding an ineligible player against Tooting Town, who they had beaten 5-1. The player in question was Len Marlow who, after scoring 20 goals in 17 games, was signed by Huddersfield Town. This led to the major event of the season where a home friendly was arranged with Huddersfield who had just won the F.A. Cup. A record crowd of 8,000 attended the event, with the F.A. Cup also in attendance, to see a Kingstonian 1-0 win.

Kingstonian did not have a proper reserve team but had a "stroller" team playing a handful of matches all away from home.
Details of the Reserves will be added at a later date.


Back to history
Back to front page.